TIRANA, Feb 12 /ATA/ – The OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media Harlem Désir kicked off a two-day official visit to Albania on Monday, which began with a meeting with the Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs, Ditmir Bushati.
The two interlocutors shared the same view that there could be no democratic society without freedom of speech and free media. Desir welcomed Albania’s progress in the field of freedom of expression and media.
Foreign Minister Bushati said Albania is committed to strengthening and improving the legal framework, as well as preserving the professional journalism values, maintaining high democratic development standards in the country and bring it closer to European integration processes.
For the preservation and free development of free media, virtual media, professional engagement, improvement of the legal framework, etc., it is expected to be held in Ohrid, Macedonia, in May 2018, the 5th Conference of Southeastern Europe with high-level representatives, in order to respond to the main challenges that the media and journalism face today.
Minister Bushati welcomed this initiative and confirmed Albania’s commitment and contribution.
- Hahn: EC willing to open negotiations with Albania
- As many as 1.2 mln Albanian citizens benefited from free medical check-up programme
- Albanian Alps exploration under Czech tourists major interest
- Castle of Mavrovo genuine values, a historic and tourist destination
- Culturetrip: 11 most stunning beaches in Albania